By Chef Alessandro
Fairmont Hotel Waterfront
This soup has been a favorite with guests in ARC since Chef Alessandro put it on the menu – with its rich creamy texture it isn’t hard to see (or taste) why. The mushrooms are foraged on Vancouver Island while their culinary apprentices hand-picked the hazelnuts in nearby Agassiz.
Portobello mushrooms (500g)
White button mushrooms (1kg)
White Onion (500g)
Miso paste (60g)
Dried Porcini mushroom, in hot water (60g)
Vegetable stock (2L)
Salt and pepper to taste
Sherry vinegar (15mL)
1. Sweat the onions, carrots, garlic and the rosemary in the butter.
2. Once translucent, add the button and porcini mushrooms, and sweat for about 10 minutes.
3. Add the miso, vegetable stock, cream, porcini mushrooms and the soaking water.
4. Add the hazelnuts and simmer the soup for about 20 min or until the carrots are soft.
5. Finish with the sherry, lemon juice, seasoning, and tarragon.
5. Purée in a vita mix until smooth.
Garnish as desired and serve.