By Kathy Mak, food blogger and photographer, Kake2Kale
Savour fresh and juicy blueberries in this tasty and easy summer dessert that is rustic, yet elegant!
For tips on where to find and pick your own blueberries, read about Kathy’s experience at Weller’s Blueberry Farm in Langley.
Fresh B.C. blueberries (4 cups)
Cornstarch (3 tbsp)
Brown sugar (1/2 cup)
Salt (1/8 tsp)
Lemon juice (1 tbsp)
Granulated sugar for sprinkling (1 tsp)
Puff pastry (1 homemade or 1 package – 200 g store bought)
- In a large bowl, combine cornstarch with brown sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Add fresh blueberries and the lemon juice to the bowl. Combine until all the berries are coated.
- Roll puff pastry dough on a flour dusted surface to form a 12 inch wide circle. Uneven edges are fine.
- Transfer rolled dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spoon fruit mixture onto the centre of dough, gently spreading it out and leaving a 1 ½-inch border of dough around the edge.
- Fold the edge of dough to an inch over the blueberry mixture. Pleat the dough as you work around the edge. Use a bit of water on the dough to help seal the pleats from unfolding.
- Lightly brush dough with water, then sprinkle granulated sugar on it.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown and blueberry filling is bubbling, 25-35 minutes.
- Cool slightly on a rack. Serve the Blueberry Galette warm. Option: Add ice cream as a nice summery touch!