By Kathy Mak
Savour fresh and juicy blueberries in this tasty and easy summer dessert that is rustic, yet elegant!
It’s blueberry season! Check out a BC Farmers Market to load up on this native BC berry and get some galettes in the oven!
Fresh BC blueberries (4 cups)
Cornstarch (3 tbsp)
Brown sugar (1/2 cup)
Salt (1/8 tsp)
Lemon juice (1 tbsp)
Granulated sugar for sprinkling (1 tsp)
Puff pastry (1 homemade or 1 package – 200 g store-bought)
- In a large bowl, combine cornstarch with brown sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Add fresh blueberries and lemon juice to the bowl. Combine until all the berries are coated.
- Roll puff pastry dough on a flour dusted surface to form a 12 inch wide circle. Uneven edges are fine.
- Transfer rolled dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spoon fruit mixture onto the centre of dough, gently spreading it out and leaving a 1 ½-inch border of dough around the edge.
- Fold the edge of dough to an inch over the blueberry mixture. Pleat the dough as you work around the edge. Use a bit of water on the dough to help seal the pleats from unfolding.
- Lightly brush dough with water, then sprinkle granulated sugar on it.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown and blueberry filling is bubbling, 25-35 minutes.
- Cool slightly on a rack. Serve the Blueberry Galette warm. Option: Add ice cream as a nice summery touch!