By Chef Dhruv Jhanjee, Tour De Feast
Chicken livers (1lb)
Duck livers (1lb)
Heavy cream (1/2 cup)
Milk (to soak)
Butter, unsalted (250gms)
Brandy (1 1/2 cups)
Shallots, diced (1/2 cup)
Rosemary, fresh (1 stem)
Thyme, fresh (4 stems)
Bay leaf (1)
Orange (1, for the peel)
- Soak livers in milk overnight
- Dry both livers thoroughly with paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large pan, brown the livers on one side in half of the butter.
- Flip the livers and add shallots, rosemary & thyme sprigs, along with bay leaf.
- Deglaze with brandy off heat.
- Return to heat and cook the liquid out until almost dry. Remove thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.
- Puree the livers, in a blender, with remaining melted butter and heavy cream.
- Use a sieve to strain the liquid. Adjust the seasoning with nutmeg, salt and pepper and grate fresh orange zest.
- Use a pate mold. Line it with plastic wrap, pour in the liquid and bake in the oven at 325F for 20-25 mins.
Pate should look smooth and the temperature inside should be 165F. Chill overnight.
Can be used as a spread or as an appetizer with Dijon mustard & sweet pickles.