By: El Santo
Enjoy El Santo’s classic prawn ceviche.
Whole prawns, (400g)
Red onion, (1 Small)
Roma tomato, (1)
Bay leaf, (1)
Cilantro, (1 bunch)
Cloves of garlic, (2)
Salt and pepper
- Peel and devein the prawns, keeping the shells to make prawn salt.
- Peel the limes, lemon, and orange, and place the citrus skins on a baking sheet with the prawn shells. Set aside the citrus fruit for juicing.
- Finely slice shallots and garlic and add those to the baking sheet along with bay leaf and the stems of the cilantro.
- Season heavily with salt and bake in the oven at 220 for 15 minutes. Once dried, blend in a food processor until it becomes a powder. Set aside, as this will be used to garnish the ceviche.
- For the ceviche, roughly chop the prawn into ¼ inch pieces, place in a mixing bowl. Juice the 4 limes and 1 lemon on top and mix with the prawns to begin curing.
- Once your prawns are curing, finely dice the onion, tomato, and jalapeño and add to the curing prawn. Let sit in the fridge for 20 minutes to finish curing.
- Chiffonade the cilantro and slice the avocado to top the ceviche.
- Once the prawns have cured, top with a tablespoon of prawn salt, cilantro, and avocado, and enjoy!