By Dan Olson, Chef/Owner, Railtown Catering
This creamy, cheesy side dish is the perfect accompaniment to your Easter or Harvest Festival dinner. Make it yourself, or let the team at Railtown Catering make dinner for you! Place your Easter to-go order by 3pm on Wednesday, March 28 and choose from an entrée choice of honey-glazed bone-in ham or lemon-and-rosemary-crusted leg of lamb and a wide array of homespun seasonal side dishes, salads, rolls and dessert.
Heavy Cream (1 cup)
Milk (1 cup)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Russet potatoes (4 lbs)
Butter, softened (1 tbsp)
Fresh thyme, chopped (2 sprigs)
Garlic, minced (2 cloves)
Gruyère cheese, grated (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush a baking pan or casserole dish with the softened butter. Sprinkle with minced garlic, chopped fresh thyme, salt and pepper.
- Peel potatoes, and slice width wise into 1/4” disks. Shingle layer into baking pan or casserole dish, seasoning each layer with garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover with cream and milk and sprinkle grated gruyère over top.
- Cover with tin foil. Bake until potatoes are completely tender when pierced by the tip of a sharp knife (about 1 hour and 45 minutes).
- Remove tin foil and allow to gratiné until golden brown and bubbly. Enjoy.