By Chef Janet Wait, Jan’s on the Beach
Jan’s on the Beach, named for Chef and Owner Janet Wait, is a popular eatery on the iconic White Rock strip, overlooking the San Juan Islands. The menu is described as “seafood and more,” offering fresh and unique dishes often lovingly made by Wait herself.
This recipe for Awesome Eggnog is one of their most requested holiday recipes.
Makes 12 servings
Eggs (6 large, separated)
Salt (1/4 tsp)
Sugar (2/3 cup, divided in 1/2)
Light Cream (1-1/4 cup)
Whipping Cream (1 cup)
Milk (2 cups)
Spiced rum (optional)
Nutmeg to taste
- Beat egg whites and salt until frothy. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl (the largest), beat the egg yolks until light, gradually add remaining sugar (1/3 cup), beating until thick and lemon coloured.
- Very slowly add light cream and milk, beating constantly.
- In another bowl beat the whipping cream until softly stiff
- Gently fold whipped cream and egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Add spiced rum to individual servings as desired
- Top with freshly grated nutmeg.
- If, for some crazy reason, there is any leftover eggnog, add 2 whole eggs and use it for French Toast! Sourdough bread soaked in eggnog is perfect for the ultimate Christmas morning or Boxing Day brunch!
- In a pinch, you can use a canister of whipped cream
Jan’s on the Beach (14989 Marine Dr, White Rock) is open Wednesday-Sunday during the fall and winter, and seven days a week during the summer. Look out for their monthly pairing dinners!