Slow-braised beef, roasted vegetables, cabernet braissage.
Boneless Chuck Roast (1.5 lbs)
Unsalted Beef Stock (2 litres)
White onion, Jumbo Carrot, Celery Stem (1 each)
Vegetable oil (2 fluid oz)
Your favourite Cabernet Sauvignon (250 ml)
Unsalted Butter (60g)
All-Purpose Flour (60g)
Red Pepper, Red Beet (1ea)
Broccolini (4 Stems)
Finger Carrots (8)
Olive oil (2 fluid oz)
Pappardelle Noodles (1.5 lbs)
Shaved Parmesan (4 oz)
- Preheat your oven to 300F
- Coarse chop your onion, carrot, and celery. Set aside.
- Grab a medium-sized pot, able to hold your beef chuck. Place on the stove at high heat. Add your vegetable oil.
- Season your beef with salt and pepper on all sides and sear in the pan for 30 seconds each side ensuring the meat has a dark golden colour. Remove from the pan and reserve.
- Add your chopped onion, carrot, and celery to the same pot. Cook the vegetables for 5 mins then deglaze the pot with wine. Reduce the by half and scrap the bottom of the pot to release all that great flavour left behind by the meat and veg.
- Continue by adding the beef back to the pot and add your unsalted beef stock.
- Cover the pot with tin foil and place in the oven for 3 hours. To check if your beef is complete, use a fork and gently try to shred the beef. If it’s easy to do so, it’s cooked. If not try again in another 30 mins.
- While your beef is braising, prepare your noodles. Place a large pot of lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Add your pappardelle and gently stir every 3 mins. Check at 9 mins. Your noodles should be soft but a slight bite to them. Once your noodles are cooked, cool in cold water and drain.
- Next prep your vegetables. Peel your carrots, and beets. Cut your beet into equal bite-sized pieces. Cut your pepper in half and core out the seeds, cut each side into 4 equal pieces. Place all into a mixing bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper and set aside.
- For your broccolini, in a medium-sized pot boil lightly salted water and blanch your broccolini till cooked. Chill immediately in ice water and reserve.
- Once your beef has completed its cooking process. Remove the beef and place on a plate. Cover with tin foil. Strain your braissage and reserve.
- Turn your oven temp up to 400 F and roast your prepped vegetables. 4 mins. Check if it is done with a fork.
- In your pot, melt butter and add flour, cook on the stove at a medium temperature until thick. Pour your braising liquid a little at a time and mix with your roux until all your braissage is in the pot and boil until medium thickness. Check the taste of your finished braissage, add salt or pepper if needed.
- Toss your pappardelle noodles into the finished braissage and ensure the noodles are well coated. Place into your serving bowl.
- Take your cooked beef and cut into 4 equal pieces and coat with the braissage. Place on top of your plated noodles. Place your roasted vegetables beside your meat and garnish with the shaved Parmesan.
Experience the fresh flavours and flare of true Westcoast dining at The Lobby Restaurant, featuring local ingredients and amazing harbour views. Enjoy a casual business lunch, lazy weekend brunch or divine dinner in a relaxed sea-side setting.