By Marc Slingsby-Jones, bar manager, Café Medina
“Initially, I wanted to name this cocktail the ‘Black Widow.’ It turns out that’s a fairly popular name for a cocktail, so I channeled my inner nerd and the spirit of Halloween and came up with ‘Tales of Suspense #52’ — the comic in which the Black Widow superhero first makes her appearance.”
Vodka (1.5 oz)
Grand Marnier (1/2 oz)
Fresh lime juice (1/2 oz)
Charcoal syrup (30ml water, 30ml sugar, 1 pinch of activated charcoal)
Egg white (from 1 egg)
Mulled cranberry syrup (1 oz) *see below for recipe
1. Add egg white, vodka, Grand Marnier, lime juice, and cranberry syrup to shaker.
2. Give the mixture a good hard, dry shake (no ice).
3. Fill shaker with ice and shake a second time.
4. Double strain mixture into a coupe glass.
5. Wait for foam to form on top of cocktail then using an eye dropper with and toothpick draw a spider web with charcoal syrup.
INGREDIENTS: MULLED CRANBERRY SYRUP
Frozen cranberries (250g)
Peel of ½ orange
Cinnamon stick (½)
Nutmeg (1 whole)
Cloves (3 whole)
All Spice (3 whole)
Vanilla bean (½)
DIRECTIONS: MULLED CRANBERRY SYRUP
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook until berries begin to pop. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to cool slightly before straining into a squeeze bottle. Store in the fridge, cool before using.